I am John Eccles, a married, semi-retired College Lecturer, formerly employed by British Gas. I have lived in Saddleworth for more than 30 years and have raised my family here. My children and my grandchildren have been educated here in local schools.
I have been an active member of our community for 30 years and I care deeply for our villages and I have seen a lot of changes.
The biggest threat to where we live is the development of large-scale housing projects on many of our green spaces. Greater Manchester want more than 2,000 houses to be built in Saddleworth and the Council are working with certain landowners to make this happen.
How will our crumbling roads cope? Our schools are already full; our only secondary school is falling apart and in desperate need of replacement. Our local doctors and health services are only just coping.
If elected I will:
– Back Liberal Democrat plans to spend £5M more on our roads and pavements.
– Fight against over development and demand brownfield sites are used and fight to protect our precious green field sites.
– I will champion affordable housing which will allow our young people and their families to live here.
– Continue to campaign for the reinstatement of rail services at Greenfield.
– Campaign for a new integrated Health Centre and lobby for specialist services to be offered at the Heath Centre in Delph, so people can access services without the need for travelling into Oldham and beyond.