I am John McCann, married with two grown up children and have lived in Saddleworth for 42 years. I have been an active Oldham Borough Councillor for the last 12 years and before that on Saddleworth Parish Council. I serve as Deputy Leader of the Opposition.
I care deeply for our villages and communities and have fought hard to keep local facilities and services like post offices, shops, bus and train services, doctors’ surgeries and libraries.
The biggest threat facing Saddleworth is Greater Manchester‘s plans to allocate land for over 2000 houses on our precious Green Belt and open spaces. Roads are in a sorry state, our schools are full and our secondary school needs replacing without further delay.
My priorities if re-elected are to:
– Implement Liberal Democrat plans to spend £5 million more on roads, pavements and drainage.
– Fight against Labour and Conservative Green Belt land grab plans.
- – Fight against excessive housing development and prioritise the use of brownfield sites and affordable housing for local young people and their families.
- – Move more decision making and funds to Saddleworth from Oldham.
– Improve local youth services.
– Increase train services, make Greenfield Station disabled accessible and reinstate trains to Manchester Victoria (to be axed in May).
– Improve crime prevention and re-open the public desk at Uppermill Police Station.
– Invest in street cleaning and tackling litter and fly tipping.
– Enforce planning conditions and stop developers ruining Saddleworth.
– Continue to listen to your concerns.